Friday, December 05, 2008

Well, looks like Sokonotes the photo blog is about to transform itself into Sokonotes the travel blog...Again. Yes, for those of you new viewers, Sokonotes was originally my travel diary in Korea where I worked for a year in 2005-06. Ever wanted to see what I look like as God, Santa Claus, or (most shocking) an English teacher? Now you can! Just click on those archives on the left side of your page.

My second year in business has come to a close. My first year living on my own in Atlanta has come to a close. Probably the greatest year of my life is quickly nearing it's spectacular finale. Thus, I thought I'd keep everyone in the know.

I'm just over an hour away from boarding a jet headed to Caracas, Venezuela where Lena and I will get married before nearly 300 of her closest friends and family. Luckily we've been practicing. We've already had two weddings: The official one in April and the Jones family reception in September. This third wedding is the Big Enchilada. Lena has been in Barquisimeto for the last two weeks already, planning, buying and working to pull the event together. Her secretario is on the next flight!

It's raining outside Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International airport. People of many nationalities walk the concourse in front of a garishly lit "On The Border" mexican joint. My ears record a host of different languages being spoken: Korean, Japanese, German, French, and yes, Spanish. But the it's the thick-accented, sharp-witted Venezuelan Spanish that is the most distinct, and I grin when I recognize it. It makes me think of Lena. I miss her a lot.

I'm so happy to be traveling again, even if it's somewhere dangerous. I still remember my trip to Korea, a trip that started with a road trip through Wyoming with Wes, then a three-day stop in sunny San Francisco followed by a trans-pacific flight to Seoul where I caught a high-speed train to Busan. This is a much easier four hour non-stop flight, but to a much more mysterious place; a place filled with danger and beauty as well as a new family to get to know. It's altogether exciting, though this time I have to make a serious attempt at learning the language, not just how to ask for kimchi.

I'm also really happy to be finished working. I haven't had a single day off in months. Even today I was up at 7 in the morning preparing images for GSU. Then I took my lens to the repair shop, bought some fishing gloves for my father-in-law, delivered an album, made my last deposit, had lunch with my friends and delivered my car and keys to my sister. I can't wait to be sitting on some crystalline beach in Venezuela, a martini in one hand and my sweet baby Lena in the other. We deserve this.

Well, it's 4:10 and people are starting to fill in the empty blue seats of the terminal gateway. You can always tell international travelers when they are leaving America: Giant carry-on bags packed with everything they can fit in them crouch like leathery trolls next to their masters. It's Christmas, too. The pilot probably needs to strap on another engine.

Venezuela, here I come!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oye, amigo. pero cuantas bodas haceis vosotros? bueno, de todas maneras, os felicito. Y gracias por pasarme la noticia.

Oh, and Merry Christmas y Happy new year!

Anonymous said...

INCREDIBLE! What A SMALL WORLD!
I happen to enter your blog.
I was student in ESS Best Jr. :)
(I'm 17 now.. In that time.. I might be 15!) I'm very glad to see you, Mr. Jones(I think we called you "Mr. Jones" or just "teacher" +_+) Can you remember me? My name Yang Jeongwon. I was apple tree and man!
You were GOD, aren't you? :)
I can't forget you as my first native teacher, because You had a great sense of humor (I think you show me the funny video which Mr.Gavin press the subway ticket vending machine button, then atomic bomb exploded!) and teaching skills, many knowledges, and good personality!

OH!.. Congratulations for your marriage! You and your partner is so beautiful! If I had not seen your marriage picture, I couldn't have notice you!(I think I also saw many other teacher's marriage pictures in your blog...@_@) Your pictures are so nice.. You're completely a pro photographer! I remeber you always carried your own camera whenverer we had event in ESS.

Anyway, I'm very glad to see you through your blog! I'll frequently visit your blog from now on!

Then,
Merry Christmas and Happy new Year!!!

Anonymous said...

Here's my e-mail.
yangjw1011@naver.com

Send me whenever you need my help about Korea!

Unknown said...

Hi!
I've enjoyed your wonderful article.
I'm running a website related to Korea and English.
Now we opened a new section named 'English Bloggers'.
This section introduces bloggers' articles with their blogs URLs.
You can post one of your favorite articles along with your blog name and URL, or by asking me.
I bet it'll help promote your blog and be visited by more readers who want to enjoy reading your wonderful writing.
If you are interested, please visit www.KoreanESL.com or email me.
Thanks!
Rick Park (info@koreanesl.com)

Anonymous said...

hi! mr.jones!
i'm chae -yeon, i was a student in ESS! (i was the 37th ess students)
first, i congratulate your marriage ^^. your wife is very beautiful.umm... i still remember you as the great native teacher and photographer. i knew your blog address before but i bought new computer and i went to highschool..(studying is very hard because we have to study until 10pm!)so i forgot your blog adress . i just remembered "sokonote"! However, i search at naver,i could find your blog easily. though you can't remember me, i still remember you as a good teacher.^.^ good bye!

ps> maybe.... many mistakes are in this masage. but i think you can understand it;; im sorry.

if you want contact me, please come to my mini-hompage.

www.cyworld.com/with_xiah

Anonymous said...

oh my got T.T
i was the 39th!
fatal mistake T.T